Click here to manage your department page.


August 16
Planning & Zoning Board Meeting
August 29
BOC Meeting
September 6
Planning & Zoning Board Meeting
September 8
Madison County Comp Plan Meeting
September 8
Board of Assessors Meeting
September 12
BOC Meeting
September 20
Planning & Zoning Board Meeting
September 26
BOC Meeting
Welcome to the Official Madison County Georgia Government Web Site
Tax Commissioner

Telephone: 706-795-6385
Fax: 706-795-3778
Map & Directions
About Us:

Lamar Dalton, Tax Commissioner

91 Albany Ave.

PO Box 217

Danielsville, GA 30633



8:00am to 4:30pm

Monday through Friday


In order to change your address in the Georgia Registration and Titling program you must have a valid driver's license reflecting your current address!


To Calculate TAVT Taxes:

To Renew Registration Online:

To Pay Property Taxes:  Madison County GA - Tax Payments (

Check Insurance Status Online:

Out of State Vehicle Registration 

Vehicles that are new to the State and newly acquired vehicles must be registered within 30 days of the day you move to Georgia or the day you purchase the vehicle, respectively.  The only exceptions are non-resident military personnel and full-time college students.

New Georgia Residents must have a Georgia Driver's License and Georgia Insurance in order to transfer a title and acquire Georgia registration.  If you have a lien on your vehicle you will need your most recent registration, Georgia Driver's License, Georgia Insurance and the name and address of your lien holder. 

Vehicle Registration

The Tax Commissioner is responsible for the registration of motor vehicles and the collection of all registration fees, taxes and penalties specified by Georgia law.  Ad valorem taxes, if due, are collected when the vheicle is registered.


O.C.G.A. § 48-5C-1 effective March 1, 2013 requires all Ad Valorem Tax to be paid on vehicles that require a title at the time of title application, these vehicles are exempt from sales and use tax and annual ad valorem tax, also known as the "birthday tax". TAVT is a one-time tax that is imposed on the fair market value (or taxable base) of the vehicle The manner in which fair market value is determined depends on whether the motor vehicle is new or used.

Home and Property Taxes 

Property Tax is the primary source of revenue for local governments in Georgia.  Ad valorem means "according to value".  

The millage rate is a determining factor in the calculation of your taxes. (A mill is 1/10 of 1 cent or $1 per $1,000 of assessed value.)  The millage rate multiplied by the 40% assessed value determines the amount of taxes you owe.  All property taxes are calculated in the same way for home, auto, and personal property.

The Madison County Board of Commissioners sets the millage rate for the county taxes, the Madison County Board of Education sets the millage rate for the county school taxes, the Board of Directors of the Industrial Development Authority for Madison County sets the millage rate for the IDA, and the city authorities determine the rate for city taxes.  

The Madison County Board of Tax Assessors, which is appointed by the Madison County Board of Commissioners, assesses all property for tax puposes.  Assessments are by law based upon 40% of the fair market value as of January 1 of each year.  This assessment is muliplied by the millage rate.  If there is an increase in the assessment or the millage rate then there may be an increase in property taxes.  

Excess Funds

If your property has been sold at a Madison County Delinquent Tax Sale and are due excess funds for the same, please complete the forms at the link below. 


To obtain a list of excess funds from all tax sales, the the link below.

UserFiles/File/Consolidated remaining excess funds 050622.pdf

Timber Taxes

Standing timber is assessed for ad valorem taxation only once, at the time of harvest or sale, separate and apart from the underlying land.  Such timber is assessed at 100% of its fair market value. 

All timber harvest or sales must be reported in the county where the timber was grown to either the Tax Commissioner's or the Tax Assessors' Office, depending on the type of transaction.  The tax is paid to the Tax Commissioner of that county.  Timber tax is collected in the accounting department where the timber deeds are stamped so they can be recorded in the Superior Court Clerk's Office.  

Go Back