Planning & Zoning

This site will assist you with most of your zoning questions, however, please feel free to call or email if you have any questions.

Madison County Zoning Ordinance Codified 2/28/2022

See 2022 Amendments to Regulations / Ordinances for Zoning Ordinance. Amendments will be codified at the end of year.

For properties located within City Limits

Please contact the appropriate City Hall. Our department does not have jurisdiction within City Limits.

You can access the Cities information here City Contacts .

Area, Yard & Height Requirements / Building Setbacks

  • 15' (From Side Property Lines)

  • 20' (From Rear Property Line)

  • 60' (From Centerline of a County Road.)

  • 70' (From Centerline of a Highway.)

  • For Commercial Setbacks, please call the office.

Additional Setbacks:

    • Wells and septic are regulated by the Madison County Health Department.

    • Chicken houses - 300' from any property line (400' from any home other than the owner's).

    • Storage buildings - the same as the above table for Area, Yard, and Height Requirements.

    • Swimming pools - 10' from the property line.

    • Signs - 70' from centerline and 5' from ROW on Federal and State roads; 60' from centerline and 5' from ROW on County roads; If the sign is not on the subject's property, the ROW is determined by the property's zoning classification.

    • Fences, walls, shrubbery, or other obstructions to vision - anything 2.5' to 15' above the finished grade of streets cannot be within 20' of the intersection of the rights-of-way lines of streets or railroads (8.4.3).

Future Land Use

  • The density parameters relate specifically to subdivision developments and do not apply to single parcel splits within rural residential areas.

General Information

  • Pre-owned mobile homes have new guidelines so please check with the Building and Zoning Office for details.

  • You do not have to have 5 ac. for a mobile home, it is treated the same as a site built home. The lot size depends on the zone of the property. If it is any existing lot, you will need to be able to meet the property set backs.

  • Campers can only be used as a temporary residence for up to one year with an active permit for building a home.

  • It is required to have at least 1 ac. per horse or cow.

  • A private drive or easement can only serve up to four lots, must be at least 30' wide, and no longer than 1500'.

  • Only 1 single-family dwelling will be allowed on a lot, unless otherwise permitted by zoning, such as medical hardships, caretakers, and accessory dwelling units.

  • Property can only be split 3 times for a total of 4 lots within a 3 year period, without falling into major subdivision regulations.

  • Any building used as a residence, an office, or a business to be located, erected, moved, added to or structurally altered by 100 sq. ft. or more must be permitted.

  • if you are building any structure over 400 sq. ft., a building permit is required.

  • Commercial buildings under 5,000 sq. ft. are not required to have building plans but are required to have a site plan.

  • All construction of 5,000 sf. must submit a storm water plan. If you are adding to an existing site your plan must be amended.

Mobile Home Park Information

The following information is provided for reference only, and is not the official version of the Madison County Mobile Home Park Regulations. The official version can be obtained in the Madison County Planning & Zoning Department.

Manufactured Home Park Regulations Codified 3/4/2019

Open Records Request

The County Clerk is designated as the Open Records Officer to act for Madison County.

All requests for records made under the Act directed to the County shall be made in writing to the Open Records Officer; Christina Baxter at

Plat Approval

  • Most plats can be approved when brought in, however, please call before coming to ensure availability. There is a $15.00 approval fee for plats. We also request that all city plats be brought in to have the Map and Parcel numbers assigned before recording; there is no fee for these plats. We also ask the plats of existing parcels be brought in to ensure that our mapping records are correct; there is no fee for these plats.

  • Rezone Plats have 6 months to be recorded!

  • If your property is located on a private drive or an easement, please check with our office to make sure it can be subdivided before you have a survey done. You cannot make any changes to a final plat of a subdivision that has been recorded, without approval from the Zoning Administrator or the Board of Commissioners. This means the lots must stay as approved and recorded, without getting further approval.

Steps for Recording Plats

    • Plats with new splits must be stamped and signed by the Zoning Administrator.

    • As of Jan. 1, 2017 plats are recorded by e-file.

    • Thank you to all the Surveyors that submit the plats for the approval, and to those that put the map and parcel that the parcels splits are coming from.

Political Signs

  • Section 10.9: Permitted in A-1, A-2, RR, R-1, R-2, R-3

  • Political signs, nonilluminated, not to exceed eight sq. ft. of area.

  • Maximum height for A-1, A-2, & RR is 20'.

  • Maximum height for R-1, R-2, & R-3, is 5'.

  • Political signs are not permitted in B & I zones.



Poultry House Requirements

Click here for details

Re-Zoning Applications

For all Rezoning, Conditional Use, and Variance applications, please call 706-795-6345 to make an appointment with the Zoning Administrator. This takes approximately 30-45 minutes.

Application Fees:

    • $250 for Residential

    • $300 for Business

    • $400 for Industrial.

Storm Water Ordinance

Subdivision Amendments and Information

Madison County Subdivision Regulations Codified 3/4/2019

Subdivision Regulations Amendments 2022

The following information is provided for reference only, and is not the official version of the Madison County Subdivision Regulations. The official version can be obtained in the Madison County Planning and Zoning Department.

Zoning Applications

Applications for the rezoning of property, for conditional uses, and for variances are accepted and reviewed by the Planning and Zoning Department, and are brought before the Planning and Zoning Commission and the Board of Commissioners for review and approval. The Planning and Zoning Department also reviews preliminary and final plats for approval by the Planning and Zoning Commission and the Board of Commissioners.