History of Madison County
Madison County, the 38th county formed in Georgia, was created in 1811 from parts of Clarke, Elbert, Franklin, Jackson and Oglethorpe counties. It was named for President James Madison.
The county has six municipalities, with Danielsville serving as the county seat. The other communities are Carlton, Colbert, Comer, Hull and Ila.
Crawford W. Long, the first doctor to use ether in surgery, was born in Danielsville in 1815.
The soils of Madison County were heavily damaged by the cotton monoculture common in this region prior to the 1930s. Presently, 23% of the land is considered prime agricultural land. Agribusiness dominates the local economy, with poultry and egg production particularly important.
Madison and Oglethorpe counties share Watson Mill Bridge State Park the site of the longest covered bridge in Georgia. The bridge, which is over 100 years old, spans 229 feet of the South Fork of the Broad River. There are also facilities for camping, hiking trails, picnicking and fishing in the park.
The Madison County Courthouse, one of the most ornate in Georgia, was built in 1901 for the sum of $18,314. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. New Hope Presbyterian Church, established in 1788, is the third oldest church in Georgia. The courthouse is no longer occupied by government offices.
The Madison County Government Complex now houses some of the government offices and the courts. Situated at 91 Albany Avenue, in Danielsville, and within view of the Historic Courthouse, the Complex was previously the site of the Danielsville Elementary School. The building was renovated and has been occupied since June 1997.
Some of the local festivals include the Georgia Indian Awareness Weekend, the Madison County Agricultural Fair and Christmas on the Lawn.
The 2020 Census indicated the population of Madison County to be 30,120.
(Some information provided by the Georgia Dept. of Community Affairs)